By the end of this lesson you will be able to:
- solve a linear system using the method of elimination
Steps to Elimination
1) Get both equations into the form of x + y = #
2) Determine how to get rid of one of the variables.
3) Add OR Subtract like terms in the equation to eliminate the chosen variable.
4) Solve the resulting equation for the remaining variable.
5) Substitute that value into one of the original equations to solve for the second variable.
Video tutorial for: 1.4 Elimination
1) model and solve problems involving the intersection of two straight lines
- solve systems of two linear equations involving two variables, using the algebraic method of elimination
- solve problems that arise from realistic situations described in words or represented by linear systems of two equations involving two variables, by choosing an appropriate algebraic or graphical method